TINMOUTH CHURCH HISTORY
The Old Church
The Tinmouth Historical & Genealogical Society (THGS) has published
a history of The Congregational Church of Tinmouth. A copy of
that history is available in the Tinmouth Library and copies may be
purchased from THGS. The following paragraphs are extracts from
after settlement, long
before the bounds between church and state were defined, many Vermont
towns erected meeting houses in which town meetings, as well as
religious services were held. Church issues, such as the cost of
preaching and the hiring of ministers, were voted on at town meetings.
Tithingmen, who kept order in church and collected the monies for
the church, were also elected by the town. Thus, one of the items
of business at the town's second meeting in March 1775 was to select
Thomas Hutchinson, Ebenezer Allen and Solomon Bingham to serve as
Tinmouth's first "tidingmen" who were "to keep good order on Sabbath
The Congregational Society in
Tinmouth, which existed until 1870, originally met in members' homes.
Its first church building was erected in 1784, and during the
remainder of its history, it utilized two other buildings, the first
built in 1797 and the second in 1836. This last building was
taken over in 1870 by the Methodist Society and used by it until the
structure burned in November 1968.
The THGS publication goes on to present a more detailed history of
the meetinghouses, biographies of ministers, and records of the
Tinmouth Congregational Church which existed until 1870. A
current initiative will endeavor to produce and publish a history of
the Tinmouth church from 1870 to the present day.
present church building was
completed in 1970 by the people of the Town of Tinmouth and has been
used since then as the Tinmouth church.
Tinmouth Circa 1910